Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Gardening Tips Anyone???

Brent and I finished preparing and planting our garden about 2 weeks ago. I think I am a little obsessed with my garden because I find myself outside about 6 times a day looking for the smallest sign of a sprout. I can't wait for everything to grow, I am so excited. I just keep thinking about how bummed I will be if my garden isn't successful this year.
I have grown a garden before, I loved it then also, but I have to admit I am not the best gardener, because I don't know anything about it. My goal with my previous gardens has been that we can eat something out of it. I guess by those standards we were successful. The problem was that we threw away at least 80% of what we grew. Sad, I know, and so I decided to rethink my garden goals this year. This year my goal is to can/freeze most of what we grow for food storage. The problem with that is that I have no idea how to do any of that. The only thing I have ever canned is freezer jam.
And so, with HIGH HOPES for my garden this year, I am asking for ANY gardening advise that anyone has to give. Here are the main questions I have when it comes to caring for my garden:
1. What is the best way to fertilize?
2. Any tips on weed control?
3 Any tips on bug control?
These are the things I have planted this year:
1.Green Beans
2. Carrots
3.Red and Yellow Onion
4. Tomatoes
5. Corn
6. Spaghetti Squash
7. Zucchini
8. Cucumber
If you have any tips on freezing/preserving/canning, any of these items, or know of a good resource please let me know.
I know I am going to have oodles of tomatoes this year so I also would like to get ideas on what to do with all of them. I am thinking maybe some salsa? some spaghetti sauce? Any good recipes out there that would be good for any sort of canned tomato?

This is the first sign of green, from my onions. :)


6 comments:

Head Over Hills said...

I can't wait to have a garden. Those little tiny plants are so exciting. I too get very excited at any growing success. I have never done my own garden though so I don't have any advice for you. Good luck with the canning and freezing! That is a skill I have yet to master.

Mary Clark said...

I kind of read your blog from Jessica Hill's. I hope you dont mind that I looked at it. You are more than welcome to check ours out at www.the3clarkkids.blogspot.com
And as for gardening tips, I dont have any. My father in law loves to garden and produces a great harvest but for me I will stick to flowers instead. Good luck with your garden and have fun watching the fruits of your labors.

Head Over Hills said...

Thank you for sharing the link to your sister in law's blog. I laughed for about ten minutes. I kept trying to imagine myself in that same situation. It makes me think about how the little things in life that can be so frusterating are really not that big of a deal in the long run. So what if I spent three hours cleaning up soap last night. Now it's done and I will always remember it. (I wish I would have taken a picture, especially of all the suds) Plus I did get some major bonding time with my hubby. I made the suds, he sucked them up with the shop vac. Anyway-thanks for sharing. It's nice to know others deal with the same day to day frustrations that I do.

Brent and Marcia said...

No tips from me.
Someday you can come over and help me learn to garden. I look so forward to it.

Katy said...

oops.. the last post wasnt my parents, it was me... I was giving my Mom Blog lessons.

Brandi said...

No gardening tips from me...sorry! I just wanted to leave you a comment and tell you how cute your boys are! They are getting so big...I'm sure they keep you busy!