Monday, June 2, 2008

Happy Birthday Annie

Yesterday I turned 28! I had a wonderful birthday. We have been celebrating since Saturday and the festivities continue through tonight so it's still my birthday (unofficially if you still want to send birthday greetings...jk) Saturday was the western days parade…lame, but fun for the kids. After that we went to Chili's where they gave me a free molten chocolate cake for my birthday…I pretty much ate the whole thing by myself and I loved it. Then on Saturday night Brent and I went out to dinner with my parents to celebrate. We ate at the Garden CafĂ©. It was fun being with them, but dinner was pretty disappointing. I ordered baked Salmon. When they brought it out it was wrapped in fancy parchment paper. Once I removed the paper it was covered in all sorts of vegetables, which I love, so I was pretty excited about my delicious healthy salmon right? Well I took a nice big bite and the texture was like mashed potatoes…..what the???? I thought to myself that doesn’t taste or feel like salmon. So I removed all of the veggies and to my surprise I found a nice big piece of raw salmon. OOOPS! Someone forgot to bake my “baked” salmon. "Surely that could not happen, maybe it’s just a different type of salmon, or maybe it’s the way they cooked it that makes it look and taste totally raw". So I showed my dad and had him take a bite. YEP! It was RAW! So after telling my waitress, she took my plate back to the kitchen and brought me a cooked piece, placed nicely where the old dead fish used to be, bathing in all the old raw juices. Let’s just say I completely lost my appetite. Yes they still charged me for it…and the dessert, which was the only thing I ate…and they wished me happy birthday on my way out. How nice of them. HMMMM someone needs some training. Or, I probably need a backbone. I guess we won’t be going back there any time soon. I am really not that upset about it, it was just pretty gross. Anyway, on Sunday we had some friends in our ward invite us to dinner and she happened to make my favorite meal. Ham and cheesy potatoes YUM! Thanks Hills! And tonight we will be celebrating again with the Nielsons. I am just getting pretty chubby from all the birthday cake I have had in the past 3 days. Not to mention all of the leftover cake I have been snacking on since Andrew’s birthday last Tuesday. So that is the reason I go work out in the mornings, just to burn off all of my birthday cake calories.
I love birthdays. I am so thankful to all of the family and friends who said and did kind things for me. I kept thinking yesterday, "I am so glad I was born". Dorky? Maybe. If you had my life you would be thinking the same thing though. I am so blessed. I am thankful to all the people in my life who have helped me to be where I am today. I am grateful for the blessing of an amazing husband, and such amazing, beautiful children. I am so thankful for my life experiences and for the perspective I have through the gospel of Jesus Christ. My life is wonderful and so I am so glad I was born. Happy Birthday to me!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday Annie! That is really grose about the Salmon, I can't believe they did that.

Head Over Hills said...

Your post made me smile. I'm glad you were able to have three days of birthday celebrations instead of just the one. If the only celebrating you were able to do involved raw fish, it would be quite the dissapointment. You getting chubby? Ha ha. Not going to happen. I too have enjoyed getting to know you and your family.

The John Family said...

Hi Annie, this is Jamie (Nielsen)John. I am writing to let you know that the 10 year reunion committee is looking for your email address. If you could just email them or me and let them know that would be great. my email is jmejoyjohn@hotmail.com or email Emily at emily.mccabe@yahoo.com Thanks!!